Friday 1 June 2012

Let's Reject Rejection - Like a Boss: Pt. 2

Hello everyone,

One word as to my disappearance. Assignments. Don't worry, this post is a treat!

With the graduate recruitment season slowing down and APS jobs being the final recourse for many 2013 graduate applicants it definitely can be disheartening. Continuous rejection can really get you down. If you haven't read my first (super popular) post about initially dealing with rejection give it a view here. Hopefully it provides a helpful start and I really do hope it has helped those who have already viewed it.

I have been fortunate to receive two offers over the last few weeks which was largely unexpected so do not give up hope! (I admit I had) I hope many of you find your place, it does take time but your time will come. I know it.  

I want this blog project to enlighten, inspire and assist you. I am happy to provide further gems from 'The Happiness Trap' by Russ Harris. This book has truly aided me during this time and I hope this installment (plus my annotations) does the same for you. Like the disclaimer in the first part, if you don't believe in this 'self help nonsense' feel free to vacate the InnovCloud for now! If you do have an open mind, read on!

The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris



This week I present a question based exercise from the book which I used to great effect (and still do!).


**********************


Ask yourself: 


1. How would I act differently if painful thoughts and feelings were no longer an obstacle?


2. What projects or activities would I start (or continue) if my time and energy weren't consumed by troublesome emotions?


3. What would I do if fear were no longer an issue?


4. What would I attempt if thoughts of failure didn't deter me?


When you think about these questions, what troublesome thoughts and images appear? Do you visualise yourself getting hurt in some way? Does your mind tell you, "It's hopeless" or "It's too hard" or that you can't make these changes because you are too weak/inadequate/depressed/unlovable?


Write a list of these thoughts and once you've done it, set aside five minutes a day to practice defusing them. Practicing defusion is the key to success. Defusion is simply seeing thoughts for what they are - nothing more than words and pictures and by doing this they will have less influence over your life. 


In my next post about Rejecting Rejection Like a Boss I will go into defusion! But for now, engage with those questions and make your list. Look at your list and think how super silly you are letting meaningless text control your attitude, your emotions, your life. Take that list scrunch it up and BIN IT. When you feel those thoughts coming on again, rinse and repeat, LIST IT and BIN IT.


**********************


Hopefully that helps you in some way because it definitely helped relieve me of negative thoughts (and sometimes I still do this, when those pesky assignments get me down!)

I hope everything works out for you. I may not know you, I may not ever see you but know that your perserverance and persistence is an inspiration to me. 

With that said, don't forget to bookmark, subscribe to the feed or tell a mate about my blog if you feel my experiences and thoughts can help you or them further.

Always Remember,
PipesCanDream

No comments:

Post a Comment